Friday, May 23, 2008

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Happy Memorial Day weekend! Jeff and I just got back from eating out on our date night (which we do just about every Friday) and going north on the freeway from University Parkway in Orem to our exit in Pleasant Grove (from what I could find on the internet, I think it's about 6-7 miles), the freeway southbound was in a traffic jam almost the whole way (northbound wasn't bad at all). I was driving and Jeff counted 79 motorhomes/campers/trailers! Crazy how many there were in just a few miles! But a lot of people like to get away on their 3-day weekend, so I guess that's to be expected. I'll be working on Monday because I'm taking Thursday off to attend Jeff's brother's high school graduation. Anyway, here's a picture of my car and the motorhome my parents used to have (along with my sisters, Rebecca and Melissa) ....


In the summer of 2003 (2 years after I moved to Utah), I took a trip down to Las Vegas to visit my mission companion and her husband and their baby and stayed with them for one night. The next day, I travelled to Flagstaff, Arizona, to meet my family there. They had been to south Arizona to visit my brother's mission. From Flagstaff, we went north to see the Grand Canyon (my first and only time there). I don't really have a lot of pictures of that, but here's a good one of my family when we were there ....


After seeing the Grand Canyon, we travelled north and stopped at the Wal-Mart in the above photo for the night and slept in the motorhome. I think that was in Page, Arizona. My sister, Melissa, was moving to Utah, so the motorhome was pulling the van my parents sold to her (and that she still has). My sisters rode back to Orem with me, and my car made about 43 mpg (my car LOVES freeway driving!). :-)

My parents moved out here to Utah from Missouri last summer. They couldn't keep the motorhome at their house in Provo, so they were paying for the storage of it on top of the expensive insurance for it. So they sold it a few months ago. Before they bought that one, they had a small Toyota motorhome and we took trips in that from the time I was 16 till I went on my mission. Before the motorhome, we took trips in a minivan pulling a trailer. Since my dad was a school teacher (now retired), we went on trips every summer. Good memories!

Anyway, Happy Memorial Day to all!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

That's great that you have so many fun memories of trips with your family! I'd like to take my kids camping more, so they can have memories like that.

Anonymous said...

Fun memories. Thanks for sharing!!!

The Jensens said...

happy memorial day weekend to you too! i'm glad to hear you and Jeff go out on Friday's. I think having a weekly date night is so crucial to a marriage. Friday is our date night too. :)