Saturday, May 3, 2008

Car Troubles

A few days ago, I posted about my '95 Toyota Camry. I still love the car, but the past couple days it has given me some stress. When I was done with work on Thursday, it wouldn't start, so I had to call my dad to come and he brought a couple tools to clean off the battery terminal thingys. It was a pain, too, 'cause my car has an alarm that goes off if you reconnect the battery. The car ran fine Thursday evening (we went to help my sister Melissa and her husband John move). Friday morning when I left for work, it wouldn't start at all (it would just make a clicking sound). I had to wake Jeff up earlier than he usually gets up for work so he could take me. My dad picked me up from work and took me back home and we got a new terminal connector thingy (I know, technical term) since one of them was in pretty bad shape. But that didn't help my car at all. We looked at the other one and it was also not in very good shape, so after my dad had to leave, Jeff and I went to get a 2nd one. He was trying to get the 2nd one on when 2 guys drove by from some pest control company (out trying to sell stuff, I guess) and they asked if we needed any help. One of them knew a lot about cars, it seemed like. He had a little battery tester in his trunk and the battery tested good, since it's a pretty new battery. He said it was probably the starter that needed replaced. We have a membership with AAA (our car insurance) to get free tows, etc., and we called them this morning to take us to our mechanic (who is a friend of Jeff's family and does car repairs cheaper than regular places). Somehow the tow guy got my car started after a few tries, so we drove it over without being towed. And it was indeed the starter. So I got that replaced for almost $200 and can now not stress about my car so much anymore. :-) It's good that Jeff and I have 2 working cars since we work on opposite ends of the valley (him in Draper and me in south Provo). So for stressing about my car and not getting very much sleep this past week, I took a 3-hour nap this afternoon. I really needed that sleep. Anyway, sorry this is a little long. I'm sometimes long-winded.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Yuck! I hate car troubles! I'm sorry.